Tuesday 10 January 2012

Anteo





BUILDING THE “ANTEO” TUG BOAT. A SCRATCH PROJECT.
BY LESLIE ROGERS COFFS HARBOUR

Whilst scanning the Modellers Shipyard Catalogue for a new project having just finished a Baltimore Clipper I came across a photo of an interesting Tug called Anteo. It is an Italian tug that was originally powered by steam and can be still found working although now transformed by essential modifications such as diesel power and safety equipment.

Tugs had interested me as a project for some time and it would be a change from period sailing ships which I have been building so I contacted Modellers Shipyard and was advised plans were available but they were in Italian and the model was large. They also were kind enough to say that if I felt the language a problem I could return the plans.
After studying the plans I decided to have a go at scratch building it ... my first venture at this technique. I should also add I do not speak Italian.

Anteo was built to a scale 1:30 and has a length of 895 mother plans were full-size and showed the keel ,ribs and decks in detail .The model was intended to be radio controlled and the plans were drawn accordingly but I chose to make mine a static model. So did not include details that would house the batteries and motor.

The construction was double plank over ribs with laid deck over the false deck.

The first thing was to have the plans that had the ribs keel and decks photo copied at the local Xerox  shop so I could cut profiles out. I then purchased a sheet of 9mm ply for the ribs and keel and a sheet of 3mm ply for the deck and wheelhouse from Bunnings.

The profiles of each component were cut from the plan copies and glued to a piece of ply that was approximately the size of the rib or beam.
I purchased a 150mm Ryobi band saw  for $99 and it was a great investment which meant that all my requirements for the whole project could be done in my own workshop including cutting planks and decking.

The assembly was rather straight forward after the skeleton of the ribs and keel were assembled. .Planks 7x2mm were cut from radiata pine and nailed and glued to the hull. When difficult curves were encountered I soaked the planks in a long tube I made out of plastic pipe that was filled with ammonia. This method only takes a few minutes and I would clamp them until they dried to help with the gluing and nailing.

After the second planking had taken place the hull was then faired off using Timbermate wood filler and sanding. The scuppers were cut and the rubbing strake added. The deck was then laid over the ply deck that had been fastened with nails to the supporting beams. The stern presented a challenge to get the gunnel curve correct and I ended up using balsa to get the shape and marry it in with a length of timber.

The deck bollards were made using plastic drawing pins fixed to timber bases. The wheel house was made of ply and in the curving part of the bridge I used styrene sheet in side the wheel house I built a control panel and steering wheel plus a map table and stove although most of this detail could not be seen when all was assembled. The funnel was made from a used Selleys no gap container that was just the right shape.

Navigation lights, hinges and ladders were made from brass and plastic tube. The bollards, mast, vents and pumps were made from odd pieces of dowelling.

It was necessary to purchase items that I could not make such as portholes, lifebuoys propeller, winch and anchors. These were stock items from Modellers Shipyard.

The model was painted with auto acrylic aerosols which proved satisfactory. Red oxide for the antifouling grey under coat for the hull. The boot topping was white pin stripe from the auto shop. Humbrol paints were used for the other colours and the whole model sprayed with matt varnish.

Now this model may not be identical in every respect to the plan but is very near and as it was my first attempt at scratch building I was pleased with the result and it was a lot of fun On the original model there were a number of photo etch parts used that I was unable to duplicate. For those that are interested in radio controlled boats this would be a winner. The full model is produced by Mantua Sergal for those who would like to build it as a kit.

It is a handsome tug that really looks powerful.

Les Rogers    












1 comment:

  1. wrong email email me at tom.wright6@hotmail.com not google account thanks Tom

    ReplyDelete